Tuesday, April 30, 2013

DEATH OF MSGR. COUGHLAN

   As you read this column, the funeral of Msgr. Michael Coughlan has been completed on April 16.  I continue to reflect on his contributions to St. Michael’s and to the city of Poway.  During his 60+ years of priesthood, Msgr. Coughlan was a dedicated and wonderful example of a true disciple.  He approached ministry as a call to loving service.  As a pioneer of Poway he served so well with love for the Gospel and the people of God.  He proved by his words and actions that a parish was a place of belonging and family life.  His theme for St. Michael’s was service to all in need.  He became a prime example of what the Vatican Council called all priests to be - a Pastor of souls!

   During my years (12) here at this great parish, I was fortunate to receive loving guidance from Msgr. Coughlan.  He never failed to assist me with his advice and support.  His vision for St. Michael’s set the example for me about the meaning of pastoral ministry.  I will continue to seek his advice in my prayers.  Please remember Msgr. Coughlan in your prayers.                                               

Msgr. Neal Dolan

No comments:

Post a Comment