Monday, June 24, 2013

Grandparents

    What is the oldest memory you have?  One of mine is visiting my paternal grandparents.  Each time we arrived in that small Pennsylvania town for a visit, Grandpa Hackett would call us over to his chair for a handshake.  Contained within that handshake was always a shiny new dime for us.  It was such a thoughtful thing to do and we were always excited to get a brand new dime!  (It bought 10 pretzel sticks at the corner market!) 

    Now that I am a grandparent, I work on viewing my new responsibilities as a grandparent from a child’s point of view.  What makes a difference to that child/children could be as easy as a big smile and a warm hug…a nighttime pajama walk…looking for that special star…telling a story about their parents when they were young…(and boy, do I have a lot to share!)  It’s my turn now to love those kids up in a very special way, just like the Good Shepherd loves his little lambs.  What a privilege.  Thank you, Lord. 


~MJ Heggeness

No comments:

Post a Comment