Monday, October 14, 2013

Disciples of Jesus - Disciples of Service

What role do we play as disciples of Jesus, who, "came not to be served but to serve"?

The definition of a disciple (from my teacher's edition of the Religious Education 2nd grade lesson plan) is "someone who follows Jesus".

So, Like Jesus whom we follow, we need not be served but serve. When we choose to help others we unite ourselves with Christ...we become true disciples.

What a great example our current Pope is of service and discipleship. Pope Francis clearly speaks with his actions. He rides the public bus, he cooks his own food, he reaches out to the poor and has a special rapport with children. This is a man who serves God with his life!

We are his flock? Do we hear the call to service?

From our service and discipleship will flow everlasting goodness and joy.

Where can I be of service this week? In my community? In my church? In my family?

-Janice Griffing




No comments:

Post a Comment