Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cultivating Faith


Some simple questions came to my mind as I was reading the Gospel about the sower and the seed for this upcoming 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time. This parable talks at one point about the seed which falls on rich soil and the results that follow. I began to think about rich soil, and not only wondered how much rich soil exits solely in itself, but reflected on what gardeners  and farmers do to maintain or create rich soil.

I often pass a beautiful garden and marvel at its magnificence, without truly appreciating all that goes in to bringing the garden into fruition. The soil had to be tilled and proper nutrients added. Soil must be cared for if it is to maintain its richness. A gardener, to be successful searches out the most effective techniques and invests time in training, if the goal desired is a flourishing garden. So, too, it is with our faith.

God blesses with his grace, but it is incumbent upon each of us to cultivate our faith, to provide an environment in which that faith can flourish. We cannot remain complacent, but need to promote, give attention to, and pursue knowledge of our faith.

Initially, it may appear to be a daunting task, particularly for those of us who would argue that we lack a green thumb. But we don’t need to do it all at once. A garden begins with one plant.


As I began with questions, I will end with one.  What is one additional thing I can do this week to help me enrich my faith?

-Jim Gase

No comments:

Post a Comment